SignLabs.org the free sign language resource site… be a signtistSignLabs.org is a non-profit initiative designed to unite the Deaf and hearing communities through the use of sign language, and other translation tools. We encourage everyone, especially Muslims, to learn how to sign, to better socialise with their Deaf neighbours, and to help improve Islamic education for the Deaf.
In short: to become true signtists.

BSL Courses on Offer in East London

Diverse Communicators are holding BSL courses in East London later this year. Some details from the Facebook event page:

Description: Have you always wanted to learn a new language? Why not learn British Sign Language and communicate with over 9 million people in the UK.

Learn sign language with our experienced deaf BSL trainers in a fun environment.

Start: Monday 13th Sept 2010
Time: 5.30pm to 7.30pm
Venue: Diverse Communicators
Rich Mix
35 – 47 Bethnal Green Road
London, E1 6LA

Click the images to enlarge the posters.

Please note: SignLabs is not affiliated with this course, nor its organisers, and cannot be held responsible for its content or availability.

8 Responses Subscribe to comments

1. Glen Hartley

I was trying to find a place to learn sign language near walthamstow and wonder if you could help me. I have never done it before and would real like a chance to have a go or even move my career in that direction. I have a IT back ground and working with the public. If you could advise me how I can go about doing this i would be truly appreciated…

Thanks

Glen hartley

Dec 09, 2011 @ 12:07 pm

2. iMuslim

Hi Glen. Check out the Courses page for links that can help you locate local resources:

Dec 13, 2011 @ 5:02 pm

3. Paul Mcphoy

I live in Hainault and I lost all hearinhg seven years ago. I am currently doing BSL Level 1 but Iḿ finding it hard and feel so stupid. Can you help with any links or suggestions please

Feb 11, 2012 @ 9:00 am

4. iMuslim

Hi Paul

Don’t feel stupid… maybe you would benefit from different learning techniques?

I am not an expert in this, but I do recommend contacting the various Deaf organizations out there that specialise in teaching sign language to the deaf and hearing impaired.

Visit the Partners page, and scroll down to “Other Deaf Groups” for some possible links:

Feb 11, 2012 @ 10:02 pm

5. dafni

Hi i live in Manor House, and I was wondering if there are any organizations/charities that give free BSL classes or anything like that. I am unemployed, so money is short right now that is why I am asking, but I would really love to learn. Any info will be appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance and all the best x

Mar 13, 2012 @ 2:02 am

6. iMuslim

I’m not sure of free courses.

There is a cheap online course available that could give you a good intro to the language (£15):

Another online resource that has some free videos:

You may want to check out YouTube for other free videos.

I would also contact the org Al-Isharah who are based in East London, as I think I read that they have offered free beginners courses in the past:

Mar 13, 2012 @ 11:57 am

7. Penny Matheou

Hello,

I am looking to start learning BSL and was wondering when the next course was due to start?

I’m really looking forward to hearing your response.

Thanks,
    Penny

May 17, 2012 @ 4:48 pm

8. Suzy

Hello, I was wondering if this was BSL certificated, what the cost was and how many weeks it was for?
    Thanks,